A while back, I built a little iPhone app called Tag Along. It was my first iOS app and the idea was to build something as a way of teaching myself Objective-C and iOS development. Fast-forward a couple years, and, with the increased potential in iOS projects, it seemed like a good idea to brush up on my skills. So, I decided to learn about the changes in the ecosystem (ARC, storyboarding, etc.) and to see if I could update my app with any of these new technologies.
A little while back there was a now famous post on rapgenius.com that let the Rails world in on how we're all getting screwed by Heroku. This post, however, is not about the issue of whether this is right or wrong (or evil), but a way to work around the problem of requests being stuck in a long queue on one dyno while another dyno sits around watching reruns of "Friends."
On a recent project we used Angular.js for some heavy lifting on the frontend. The framework has a steep learning curve but is pretty powerful once understood. A simple example of this is a currency filter for numbers passed into the view.